101 Lessons Learned After 29 Years Of Living Life
Posted by Ryan Neal
101 Lessons Learned After 29 Years Of Living Life
Publication: RidiculouslyExtraordinary. Posted by Ryan Neal
When I was young I wanted to live to 100. To my mind it might as well have been infinity. (I thought China was a different planet when I was 4 so maybe 100 was infinity.)
Then I got older and I didn't want to live to anything.
Now I want to live to 100 again. As you know, I like the number 100. Actually, I'd like to live to infinity. (Wait, is China a different planet? What's happening here? ... help?)
Anyway, 29 is still very young, and I don't claim to know it all. What I do know is what I know, you know? ;)
Much like Finding Your Right People I've had this post ready for a long time. I was a little bit afraid to post it, but it may be The Ultimate Filter (like The Ultimate Warrior with less color and no steroids). Maybe tomorrow I start with a blank slate.
I expected a lot of RSS unsubscribes after posting Finding Your Right People. Instead, my subscriber count increased by 83. For a regular traffic day that is incredible (for this site). Thank you for hangin' out in my backyard.
This list was originally 99. Then I edited some out. Then I added some. Then I edited some out. Truth be told I think I could easily hit 1,000. But right now it's 101. A nice, easy number we'll also call Infinity + 1.
Infinity + 1 Lessons Karol Has Learned In 29 Years:
- Friends really do come and go. Some come back. Some don't. That's OK.
- Nobody cares about you as much as they care about themselves.
- Animals kill to survive. Humans kill for "fun" (also know as a psychopath) or because they're ignorant of torture (I know I used to be).
- It's OK to be different.
- Most people won't agree with you.
- The people who really care will still care whether they agree with you or not.
- You don't need anybody's support to make things happen.
- Arguments are pointless. You can't change anyone, don't try.
- People will rationalize and justify anything and everything to be “right.” Let them.
- It's easier to take a small action now instead of a big action “some day.”
- Some day never comes.
- If the music you listen to is on the radio or TV it's pop music. Pop = popular. It doesn't matter if there's screaming or singing, loud guitars or soft piano, it's pop music. I love pop music. I love unpopular music as well. ;)
- You're not as different as you think.
- You can have anything you want.
- You never have to settle. Not in a relationship, not in a job, not ever.
- Somebody will always tell you your ideas suck. Take action anyway.
- You might think you're not good enough, but you'll surprise yourself when you try.
- Smoking is gross. Kissing a smoker is grosser.
- You don't have to be promiscuous because you're a male and you don't have to be celibate because you're a female. Do what you want.
- Don't let the school system brainwash you into being average. They will try. Every step of the way.
- Society wants you to be average as well, but you can be exceptional if you'd like. It's your choice.
- You will make mistakes. So what?
- It's OK to feel sad.
- There is nothing wrong with you.
- Successful people read books.
- Passion can go a long way.
- Don't kill yourself. It's never worth it.
- Get tested.
- If you think you can do something you're right. If you think you can't do something you're also right.
- The refrigerator light doesn't always stay on.
- Whether you hear it or not, a falling tree always makes a sound.
- Money is not the root of all evil.
- Love of money is not the root of all evil either.
- You don't need as much money as you think.
- Nobody cares what kind of car you drive. If they do, they're not worth your time. (Also, replace car with: the kinds of clothes you wear.)
- Don't be a pushover.
- Memories are priceless. Write them down daily. Even if they seem trivial.
- Nothing is trivial.
- Ask for what you want. If you don't ask, you won't receive.
- Don't make the same mistake twice. If you do, don't make it a third time.
- There will always be somebody more “successful” than you.
- Define your own rules for success. It's a lot easier to rule your world than someone else's world.
- Humans are the only mammals that drink milk after they've grown. They're also the only mammals that drink another mammal's milk.
- If you don't feel good you probably don't need a doctor. It's your diet.
- Even if an apple a day doesn't keep the doctor away it sure tastes good.
- Doctors aren't all bad, but many will write you any prescription you ask for if you know how to ask.
- The fact that gay marriage is not recognized is an abomination. If you support Freedom, you support gay marriage.
- Religion causes a lot of problems.
- Telling someone they're wrong never leads to anything positive. Even if they're wrong.
- You'll never be good enough if you don't define great.
- Being dependent on TV shows or sports teams is for children and teenagers.
- You don't need more than 3 pairs of shoes. 1 athletic, 1 dress, and 1 casual. Even that might be overkill.
- If you wear the same pants every day nobody will notice.
- Write down your dreams/nightmares for 30 days every morning immediately upon waking up. Some trippy stuff will start happening.
- It is scientifically proven that if you eat meat you're not an environmentalist. Don't pretend to care about the environment. Care or don't care.
- Whether global warming is real or made up, is it really so difficult to throw a cigarette butt in a trash can instead of the street? (Replace the following with cigarette butt: gum, paper, bottles, anything.)
- If you say you love animals and you kill them for dinner (physically or by shopping at the deli counter) there is a blatant disconnect.
- Just because somebody tells you something is true, doesn't mean it is. Do your own research.
- Jealousy is mankind's most useless emotion. Instead of feeling jealous, feel happy.
- Happiness is mankind's most useful emotion.
- If you help people get what they want, you will “miraculously” get what you want.
- It's OK to be a follower. It's better to be a thought leader.
- It's OK if you don't like something. Just don't pretend that you do.
- There are exceptions to every rule. That doesn't make the rule invalid.
- You can't break rules if you don't learn them first.
- If somebody tells you they want the best for you what they mean is they want you to do what they say and follow the rules.
- You should play on a swing set at least once every year. It is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face.
- Don't blame anybody for your problems. They're yours. The sooner you establish this the sooner you can work on them.
- If you can't sing, sing anyway. Especially at karaoke.
- Just because a billion people do something doesn't mean it's right.
- If you eat moldy bread you might feel like shit. Pun not intended. :)
- Don't wish, do. “I wish I could...” is a waste of thought energy.
- Some people say you should do something every day that scares you. That's a lofty goal, but even if you do something every week that scares you you'll come out ahead.
- Do what scares you.
- If you think something is a bad idea, it might mean you should do it. Or it might mean it's actually a bad idea.
- Stop watching so much TV.
- It really is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Try it next time.
- It's OK if you don't want to travel the world. There are lots of things to explore in your own backyard.
- Don't listen to anybody who tells you “you're missing out” by not going somewhere or doing something. You're only missing out if you believe you're missing out.
- Don't think of cost. Think of value.
- If something is expensive that doesn't mean it's worth it. If something is cheap that doesn't mean it's not. Usually, neither of those options are ideal.
- Maybe you can't have it all. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
- You can change the world because you define your world.
- Jakfruit is hard to find, but so very worth it.
- Give away something you love. You'll learn a) detachment and b) it feels great.
- Do activities by yourself. Solo Social Activities (movies, dinner, concerts, travel) can be a lot of fun.
- Stop depending on other people.
- It's OK to complain sometimes. Don't make it a habit.
- Do what you love even if you don't get paid for it.
- Stop texting or checking your phone when you're with other people. It's rude and it's sad.
- Drink more water.
- Show gratitude.
- Make more mistakes.
- There is no such thing as luck. No good luck. No bad luck. You either make good things happen or you make bad things happen. Nothing more, nothing less.
- The secret to winning is playing. Often. (This advice does not hold for games of chance.)
- Everybody lies. Trust people anyway.
- If you dwell on past mistakes you will get depressed. Dwell or don't dwell, but know the outcome.
- There is always more you can do. But that doesn't mean there is always more you should do.
- Don't compare yourself to other people. Compare yourself to yourself.
- Low calorie does not mean healthy. Stop fooling yourself.
- Seek danger.